List items

Items from the current list are shown below.


18 Jan 2024 : Day 142 #
Astonishingly I wake up to find the build I started last night has successfully completed this morning. That's not quite the end of the process though. It means I have a version of gecko implementing a new API. But the API is due to be accessed by qtmozembed. When I rebuild qtmozembed it installs the new gecko packages (which are named "xulrunner-qt5" for historical reasons) and then fails because it can't be built against the new interfaces.
$ sfdk -c no-fix-version build -d -p
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Computing distribution upgrade...
Force resolution: No

The following 5 packages are going to be reinstalled:
  xulrunner-qt5              91.9.1-1
  xulrunner-qt5-debuginfo    91.9.1-1
  xulrunner-qt5-debugsource  91.9.1-1
  xulrunner-qt5-devel        91.9.1-1
  xulrunner-qt5-misc         91.9.1-1

5 packages to reinstall.
qmozview_p.cpp: In member function ‘void QMozViewPrivate::load(const QString&)’:
qmozview_p.cpp:491:39: error: no matching function for call to
In file included from qmozview_p.h:26,
                 from qmozview_p.cpp:35:
  note: candidate: ‘virtual void mozilla::embedlite::EmbedLiteView::LoadURL
  (const char*, bool)’
   virtual void LoadURL(const char* aUrl, bool aFromExternal);
  note:   candidate expects 2 arguments, 1 provided
This is entirely expected. In fact it's a good sign: it means that things are aligning as intended. The next step will be to update qtmozembed so that it matches the new interface.

The process of fixing this is pretty mechanical: I just have to go through and add the extra fromExternal parameter where it's missing so that it can be passed on directly to EmbedLiteView::LoadURL(). There is one small nuance, which is that on some occasions when the view hasn't been initialised yet, the URL to be loaded is cached until the view is ready. In this case I have to cache the fromExternal state as well, which I'm going to store in QMozViewPrivate::mPendingFromExternal: in the same class as where the URL is cached.

Having made these changes the package now builds successfully. But we're not quite there yet, because these changes are going to cause the exported qtmozembed interfaces to change. These will be picked up by the code in sailfish-browser.

Unlike qtmozembed the changes may not cause sailfish-browser to fail at build time, because it's possible the changes will only affect interpreted QML code rather than compiled C++ code. Let's see...

As I think I've mentioned before, sailfish-browser takes quite a while to build (we're talking tens of minutes rather than hours, but still enough time to make a coffee before it completes).
$ sfdk -c no-fix-version build -d -p
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Computing distribution upgrade...
Force resolution: No

The following 2 packages are going to be reinstalled:
  qtmozembed-qt5        1.53.9-1
  qtmozembed-qt5-devel  1.53.9-1

2 packages to reinstall.
../../../apps/qtmozembed/declarativewebpage.cpp: In member function
  ‘void DeclarativeWebPage::loadTab(const QString&, bool)’:
../../../apps/qtmozembed/declarativewebpage.cpp:247:20: error: no matching
  function for call to ‘DeclarativeWebPage::load(const QString&)’
compilation terminated due to -Wfatal-errors.
As we can see, there are some errors coming from the C++ build relating to the API changes. This is good, but it doesn't negate the fact that some changes will still be needed in the QML as well and these won't be flagged as errors during compilation. So we need to take care, but fixing these C++ errors will be a good start.

Once again the changes look pretty simple; for example here I'm adding the fromExternal parameter:
void DeclarativeWebPage::loadTab(const QString &newUrl, bool force,
    bool fromExternal)
    // Always enable chrome when load is called.
    QString oldUrl = url().toString();
    if ((!newUrl.isEmpty() && oldUrl != newUrl) || force) {
        load(newUrl, fromExternal);
These changes have some cascading effects and it takes five or six build cycles to get everything straightened out. But eventually it gets there and the build goes through.

But that's still not quite enough. As we noted earlier this just tackles the compiled code. We can say that the C++ code is probably now in a pretty decent state, but the QML code is a different matter. The build process won't check the QML for inconsistencies and if there are any, it'll just fail at runtime. So we'll need to look through that next. That will have to be a task for tomorrow.

If you'd like to read any of my other gecko diary entries, they're all available on my Gecko-dev Diary page.


Uncover Disqus comments